Discover the hidden magic and small town charm that the East Bay has to offer!
Points of Interest
Barrington Town Hall, 283 County Road, Barrington RI 02806. 247-1900
Tudor style built in 1887-88, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Preservation Society Museum, 281 County Road, 289-0802
Located at the Barrington Public Library.
Tyler Point Cemetery, Tyler Point Road, off Rout 114
A burial site within marks the town's only Revolutionary War skirmish when a landowner killed a Hessian soldier fleeing the buring on Waren.
Audubon Society of Rhode Island's Environmental Education Center,
1401 Hope Street, Route 114, 245-7500
www.asrieec.org The natural history center and aquarium makes learning about nature fun. There is a 33-foot life-sized right whale replica, tide pool tank, blue lobster and more. The 28-acre wildlife refuge has walking trails and a scenic 1/4 mile boardwalk through a saltmarsh leading to Narragansett Bay.
Blithewold Mansion, Gardens & Arboretum, 101 Ferry Road, 253-2707
www.blithewold.org The 45-room English-style manor is decorated and furnished much as it was when it was built in 1908. Situated on 33 acres of landscaped grounds overlooking Narragansett Bay, a dozen gardens feature more than 3,000 trees and shrubs. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Bristol County Statehouse, 240 High Street, 253-0015
This imposing newly renovated building on the town common, built in 1816, once served as the statehouse and later as a courthouse until the 1980's. The second-floor courtroom has been used for theatrical productions.
Bristol Historical & Preservation Society Museum, 48 Court Street, 253-7223
This former jail was built in 1828 of stones used for ballast in Bristol ships. It now contains artifacts and a library of memorabilia spanning Bristol's 300-year history. Walking tours are arranged for groups.
Bristol Train of Artillery, 135 State Street
The BTA was established on Feb. 12, 1776, and has been active ever since. This head-quarters also acts as a museum featuring rare specimens of weapons and artifacts. For tours and demonstration information, call 253-3927
Coggeshall Farm Museum, Poppasquash Road, 253-9062, www.coggeshallfarm.org
This living, working museum depicts life on a 1790's coastal farm and features animals and livestock that would have been present at the time, and heirloom garden and a variety of outbuildings.
Herreshoff Marine Museum & America's Cup Hall of Fame, 1 Burnside Street, 253-5000, www.herreshoff.org. Memorabilia, photographs, half-models, steam engines and over 60 historic yachts recall Herreshoff's domination of the "Golden Age of Yachting" from 1859-1945 and Bristol's reign as the yacht-building capitol of the world.
Linden Place, 500 Hope Street, 253-0390, www.lindenplace.org This federal period mansion was built in 1810 for Gen. George DeWolf and was maintained by the family until the 1980's. Now a museum, Linden Place features original furnishings, a unique Honduras mahogany staircase, 18th and 19th century outbuildings, 20th- century sculpture, and beautifully maintained grounds.
Mt. Hope Farm, 250 Metacom Avenue, 254-1745 www.mounthopefarm.com Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the site dates back to the 1680's and has spectacular views of Mt. Hope and Narragansett bays. The property features the Governor Bradford House (circa 1745) and over 200 acres of open space and facilities.
Baptist Church in Warren, 407 Main Street, 245-3669
Built in 1844, this structure replaces one burned by Hessian troops during a 1776 raid. The tower bell was recast from an original by Paul Revere.
Charles W. Green Museum, 530 Main Street, 245-7686. Located on the second floor of the George Hail Library, the museum's collections include the Charles R. Carr Collection of pre-Columbian, Peruvian and North American Indian artifacts.
Firemen's Museum, 42 Baker STreet, 245-7600 This restored fire barn housed the Narragansett Steam Fire Co. #3 in the 1800's and houses The Little Hero, the first fire engine purchased by Warren in 1802
Masonic Temple, 39 Baker STreet, 245-3293 Built in 1799 from timbers salvaged from sunken Revolutionary War British frigates in Newport harbor, this is New England's oldest building in continuous use as a Masonic Temple.
Maxwell House, (Home of the Massosoit Historical Association), 59 Church Street, 245-0392
This 2 1/2 story brick Colonial gable house features a massive central chimney and two beehive ovens.